It Takes Two to Talk® – Training for Parents of Children with Language Delays
The It Takes Two to Talk Program is designed specifically for parents of young children (birth to 5 years of age) who have been identified as having a language delay. In a small, personalized group setting, parents learn practical strategies to help their children learn language naturally throughout their day together.
The It Takes Two to Talk Program teaches you, step-by-step, how to become your child’s most important language teacher. The program shows you how to:
- Recognize your child’s stage and style of communication so that you know which steps to take next
- Identify what motivates your child to interact with you so you’ll know how to get conversations started
- Adjust everyday routines to help your child take turns and keep interactions going
- Follow your child’s lead to build his confidence and encourage him to communicate
- Add language to interactions with your child to help him understand language and then use it when he is ready
- Tweak the way you play and read books with your child to help him learn language
- Change the way you speak to your child so that he’ll understand and learn new words
- Initial Orientation and pre-program consultation with the Speech-Language Pathologist
- 6 training sessions for parents in small, personalized groups
- A Hanen Certified Speech-Language Pathologist leading the program
- The opportunity for two individual visits for you and your child with the Speech-Language Pathologist in which you are videotaped while practicing strategies to help your child achieve specific communication goals. You and the speech-language pathologist then watch the videotaped interaction to “see” what’s helping your child and what you can modify to help even more.
It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Language Delays is the guidebook you’ll use throughout the program to support your learning. This guidebook outlines all of the strategies covered in the program with very practical examples of what to say and do with your child to promote his language skills.
Parents may purchase the guidebook at any time, even in advance to give their learning a head start and to gain some practical strategies that they can start using with their child right away.
Benefits of Taking the It Takes Two to Talk® Program
Practical strategies you can use in everyday situations
The It Takes Two to Talk Program shows you how to use your natural, day-to-day life with your child to help him develop language skills. You’ll discover simple things you can do during everyday activities like meal time, story time and bath time to create enjoyable learning opportunities for your child.
It Takes Two to Talk translates the research on early language intervention into concrete strategies that are easy for parents to understand and to put into practice. The program offers you many opportunities to practice and discuss each strategy you learn so that you’ll be comfortable and confident using them at home.
Here’s an example of an It Takes Two to Talk strategy that can be used during any activity to encourage your child to start conversations:
Research has shown that children learn language best when they are allowed to lead a conversation and communicate about what interests them. The OWL strategy will help you follow your child’s lead so that he’ll be more likely to stay in the interaction with you and get the practice and feedback he needs to build his communication skills.
Visit the Hanen.org page for additional research summary and parent testimony videos.